Cars, coal and buildings. Pollution is waste!
Thank you Al Gore for your persistent and tireless dedication in the fight to stop global warming.
Al Gore’s Recommendations:
- An immediate “carbon freeze” that would cap U.S. CO2 emissions at current levels, followed by a program to generate 90% reductions by 2050.
- Start a long-term tax shift to reduce payroll taxes and increase taxes on CO2 emissions.
- Put aside a portion of carbon tax revenues to help low-income people make the transition.
- Create a strong international treaty by working toward “de facto compliance with Kyoto” and moving up the start date for Kyoto’s successor from 2012 to 2010.
- Implement a moratorium on construction of new coal-fired power plants that are not compatible with carbon capture and sequestration.
- Create an “ELECTRANET” — a smart electricity grid that allows individuals and businesses to feed power back in at prevailing market rates.
- Raise CAFE standards.
- Set a date for a ban on incandescent light bulbs.
- Create “Connie Mae,” a carbon-neutral mortgage association, to help defray the upfront costs of energy-efficient building.
- Have the SEC require disclosure of carbon emissions in corporate reporting, as a relevant “material risk.”
Watch the testimony on YouTube here.
Posted on March 21, 2007, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Cars, coal and buildings. Pollution is waste!.